Child And Spousal Support

Protect Your Own Interests In Family Court

Divorce can have a huge impact on your family – and not purely emotional. Your financial situation will probably change, and that change could be huge. Depending on your case, you may be eligible to either pay or receive financial support to or from your past partner. This can be for your own maintenance or that of your children. How will you know what to expect and what to ask for?

Having a skilled family law attorney on your side is crucial. My name is Susan Winterberger, and I dedicate my practice to family law. I am committed to looking out for my clients, whether in court or in negotiations with the other party. Whether your divorce is contested or uncontested, I am here to protect your interests.

Facing Child Support In Florida

In most cases, if a couple has children, there will be child support assigned as part of divorce proceedings. This is because the court does not want the children to suffer because of the divorce: the court wants the children to be raised as closely as possible to their former standard of living.

The amount of child support is often determined by factors such as:

  • The parents' individual income levels and jobs
  • Child-rearing expenses, including child care, school costs and day-to-day living expenses.

In general, the parent with whom the children live receives payment, and the other parent supplies it.

Alimony Requirements In Florida

Whether or not one spouse receives payment does not depend on anything that happened within the marriage, but is meant to recognize the fact that one spouse may not be as financially prepared as the other to leave the marriage. Perhaps one spouse left the workforce to raise children or to take care of the home. In a case like this, they may receive assistance from their ex-spouse while they get back on their feet.

Spousal support is often determined in conjunction with factors such as length of marriage.

Wondering About Financial Support After Divorce? Call A Lawyer Today

As an experienced family law attorney, I am very familiar with the family court system. I can explain what you may expect, as well as help you navigate the process. I also offer help creating modifications to an agreed-upon arrangement. To arrange a meeting, call my Crestview office today at 850-398-4355.